Then we went back to the Dara Market to look for a silk skirt. I went through a number of the booths looking for a silk that was striking, but that could still be warn as a skirt without looking too ridiculous, but that also would not cost a fortune. One of the Stray employees said she usually paid 200,000 Kip for her skirts, but that they would charge me more as a foreigner and that if I got a solid embroidered piece it would also be more. I settled on a navy blue silk with gold and earth tone embroidery at booth 48. She wanted 800,000 initially, but I got her down to 500,000. But she wanted 2 days to finish it. But I needed it by 2pm the next day (Monday) as we were leaving early on Tuesday and already had plans for Monday afternoon. She agreed to have it done by 2pm Monday, but for 50,000 Kip more, so in the end I agreed to 550k Kip (approx. $70) and paid half the amount up front.
It was a hot day, so we returned to our room quite exhausted and loinged in the air conditioning until the other gals got back from their elephant rides as we were going to go to the La Pistoche Swimming Pool and Bar.
It was about a 30 min walk to the pool, 10 min from town by Tuk-tuk. We walked thinking the website meant 10 min by walking and then figured out they must have meant by taxi. We payed 20k Kip to get inside, and then drinks and food were extra. There were all kinds of lounging mats set up on decks around the pool and the bar. The water was a little
murky, but we did't care as it was so hot out. We stayed until about 6pm when it started to cloud over.
We showered and changed and met up with everyone around 7pm. (Pre-dinner showers were becoming a norm on this trip to wash off the days sweat and grime for a comfortable dinner experience). Two of the other gals, Zyrah and Kirsten were joining me t browse through the big night market before meeting Stephen at an Indian restaurant around 8pm.
In the market I bought some Lao-made silk/cotton scarves with golden weave, and got a good bargain of 3 for 100k Kip (approx. $12.50) and some other items for gifts for family and friends. I think I was on fire, and probably should have tried to buy more that evening as I was really getting the hang of bargaining the best price.
We met at the NaZim Indian Restaurant. Steve and I were starving and ordered quite a lot. There was definitely no way we could finish. To be honest, it was a little bit disappointing. The first table we sat at had ants all over it. And other than the Saffron rice that was amazing, the rest seemed mediocre at best. The Butter Masala Chicken that Zyrah ordered was really good, though. We were stuffed in the end, though, so that was good. However, none of us felt up to going over to Lao Lao Gardens afterward and we just returned to our rooms. Steve and I drifted off to watching 'Clash of thr Titans' on HBO.
------------------
No comments:
Post a Comment